FACT CHECK: Jagmeet Singh would cut thousands of green jobs for workers
August 23, 2021
Ottawa, ON – Today, Jagmeet Singh falsely claimed that the NDP would support workers as we fight climate change.
Jagmeet Singh instead confirmed that the NDP would cut funding for important programs that are protecting and creating thousands of green jobs for workers and cutting pollution in communities across Canada.
- Supporting the province of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan with investments in the clean-up of orphaned and inactive wells.
- Our investments in major emissions reduction and job creation projects in across the country, including:
- $200 million to help Algoma Steel Inc. in Sault Ste. Marie cut 70% of their emissions while creating 500 jobs through the project’s construction phase and subcontracting and over 600 new co-op placements for students;
- $400 million to help ArcelorMittal Dofasco in Hamilton cut their emissions by more than half, create 2,500 construction jobs and secure thousands of additional jobs for years to come;
- $15 million to help Nova Bus in St-Eustache modernize their public transit buses, optimize them for electrification, and build other types of all-electric and battery-powered buses – which will help maintain 1, 118 full-time jobs;
- $50 million to help Lion Electric in Saint‑Jérôme build a battery-pack assembly plant for their electric vehicles in the Laurentians region – which will create 135 new jobs after construction is completed in 2023 and an additional 150 jobs over the longer term;
- $25 million to help Svante Inc. in Burnaby industrialize and commercialize their innovative carbon capture technology within the North American market, which will cut emissions and create good jobs for workers in the Lower Mainland.
Since day one, the Liberal government has been putting in place programs and policies that cut pollution while creating good jobs for workers for years to come. We are also fully on track to meet our goal of phasing out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies by 2025.
The Liberal climate plan is doing more to cut pollution in a practical and affordable way than any other climate plan in Canadian history. Jagmeet Singh’s promise to cut the programs put in place by the Liberal government shows that he is not committed to helping workers and that he will put Canada’s climate commitments at risk.
With Justin Trudeau and the Liberal team we are moving forward – together – with a plan to fight climate change and create good jobs for Canadians in the green recovery.